Sometimes you just need that comfort food. And this recipe is all about comfort. Soft pieces of beef cooked in red wine over low heat. One of the family favorites!
When I crave some comfort food my go-to recipe is this Beef Stew in Red Wine that I adapted from THIS recipe.
It does contain a bit of red wine that gives its’ richness but don’t worry, you won’t be able to taste it.
This recipe is easy to prepare, although it will take some time to cook ( between 2-3 hrs ). So patience is the key here…
Step 1. Fry the beef
Start frying the meat in a non-stick saucepan or dutch oven type of pan.
I highly recommend frying beef in batches and not in one go because this will help to brown the meat.
After the meat has been fried, remove, and set aside.
Step 2. Fry the veggies
Fry the onions, carrots, bacon, and garlic until soft and caramelized. Add 1 tbsp of plain flour and fry for a further 1-2 min.
Step 3. Add beef Stock & Wine
Mix 200 ml of red wine with 600 ml of beef stock followed by 1 Tbsp of tomato paste.
Step 4. Add Browned Beef & Stock To The Pan
Also, I added a cup of water, just enough to cover the meat.
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Place the lid on the pan and put it in the oven.
Keep checking and stirring the stew every 45 min, adding a bit of water, if needed, to prevent it from burning. My stew took about 3 hrs to be ready, however, it will depend on the meat and the oven.
It is a super tasty and simple recipe. I served it over mashed potatoes and fresh salad on the side. Yum…
How to serve Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce?
You can serve this stew over the mashed potatoes, rice, pasta.
Also, this could be used as a filling for baked potatoes, wraps, pitta bread, or eaten with some crusty bread on the side. The list is endless…
How to store it?
After the stew is cooled, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Re-heat to very hot.
You can also freeze it in an airtight container. Let it thaw in the fridge ( best overnight ), reheat in a microwavable container, or on top of the stove.
Classic Beef Stew
- 750 g cubed stewing beef
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 70 g cubed bacon lardons ( or smoked bacon )
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 600 ml beef stock
- 200 ml red wine
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2-3 tbsp olive/ veg oil for frying
- Pre- heat the oven to 170 C
- Slightly season the cubed beef with salt and pepper
- Heat the 1 Tbsp of oil in the non- stick pan ( make sure it is oven proof )
- Add the meat in batches to the pan and fry on med-high heat, until the pieces are nicely browned. Set aside.
- While the meat is frying, prepare the stock. I used 1 cube of beef stock with 600 ml of hot water. Mix it all well. Add 1Tbsp of concentrated tomato paste followed by 200 ml of red wine. Stir and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and fry onions, bacon, carrots, and garlic until veg. softens and browns a bit. Add 1 Tbsp of flour and fry for a minute.
- Place fried beef and stock/ wine mixture back to the pan. Mix all well. The liquid has to cover the meat slightly. If needed- add a cup of water. Bring to the boil, cover the lid, and put it in the oven.
- Keep checking the stew every 40- 50 min, stirring every time, adding a cup of water if needed.
- After 2 hrs in the oven, check if the meat has softened. At this point, you can check the seasoning too and add a little bit more if not enough.
- Sprinkle some chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!