Ikea Hemnes Dresser Hack

In this post, I will be sharing with you how I transformed my old Ikea Hemnes Dresser for just over £20.

Chest Drawers

After finishing renovating our smallest room in the house and creating a cohesive girls’ bedroom, we finally started renovating our Master Bedroom…YAY!

I love saving old furniture and giving a new lease of life to them. This Ikea Hemnes Dresser Hack is all about it. Funny, how a leak of paint can completely change the look.

This post contains a link to a product that I have used for the project. This is not a sponsored post and I have not received compensation from any of the companies to talk about their products. 

For this hack, I have used Rust-Oleum Satin Furniture Paint in Mocha. One tin of 750ml was more than enough for this dresser.

Sanding and priming Ikea Hemnes dresser

Hemnes dresser before transformation

The instructions on the tin say that you don’t need to prime or sand prior to painting. I chose to ignore that and started by sanding, cleaning, and priming the front of drawers.

Painting the dresser

It took me 1 week to finish this dresser as I was painting in stages. My advice is to let the coats dry completely in between. Sometimes it might look dry after 1 hr but please, wait for 3-4 hrs and sand between the coats.

I started painting with a small foam roller but I didn’t like the marks it was leaving, so I switched to the brush after 1st coat.

You can see in this picture how the foam roller was leaving marks.

marks of foam roller

This is the second coat after using a brush

second coat with brush

After a bit of experimenting, I can honestly say, that the best finish was achieved by using both.

By starting with a foam roller for the first coat and then switching to the brush for the second and third.

Once the drawer fronts were finished, I started painting the frame of the unit.

painting the frame

As for the hardware, I bought these T-Bar brushed steel handles from eBay. At the price of £7.93 for 12, it was a bargain. I liked the simplicity of them and how much they changed the appearance of this dresser.

This project cost me £21.93 as I already had a primer.

I can’t tell you how pleased I am with this Ikea Hemnes Dresser Hack, also I believe it was a great decision to prime and sand between coats.

Hopefully, I will be able to share with you my finished Master Bedroom project very soon!


Ikea dresser

2 Comments

    • Lina

      Thanks, Kay. It has been almost a year since I painted this dresser and it is holding up very well. No chipping or scratching. I am glad I didn’t skip the priming bit and sanded between each coat. I think that is the key to a good finish.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *