This homemade nut and seed granola is way better than the shop-bought one. I like how easily you can customize it for your taste. Lovely with yogurt or milk, or can be used as a topping for oatmeal or ice cream for added crunch.
Recently I was looking for ways to add some more protein to my diet. As nuts and seeds are great sources, I thought that granola would be a perfect solution.
This nut and seed granola recipe is so tasty and crunchy and way better than the store bought one
How to make granola?
I used rolled oats ( not the instant or steel-cut ), pecan nuts, pumpkin and chia seeds, unsalted butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
Can I substitute ingredients?
You definitely can! I tried different variations in the past but for me, this one is my favorite.
- Use gluten-free oats for a gluten-free version.
- Replace butter with coconut oil for a vegan version. I have tried using peanut butter to replace the unsalted butter in the past and it was equally delicious.
- Substitute pecans for walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, or a mixture of nuts.
- Use honey, agave, or golden syrup to replace maple syrup.
- Add chocolate chips or dried fruits once it is baked and cooled.
- If you counting your Macros, add few scoops of protein powder.
Start by mixing all dry ingredients in the large bowl
Melt the butter with the syrup
Add the butter and maple syrup into a saucepan and place it on low-medium heat. Stir gently until everything comes together. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Spread the granola in a lined baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20min, stirring and turning the granola halfway through.
Take out the tray and let it cool completely. Don’t mix warm granola as it will lose those lumpy bits.
If you like big, crunchy pieces of granola, press it down in the tray after you mixed it halfway through the baking.
How to store nut and seed granola?
Once cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Enjoy!
One serving (45g) of this granola contains 248kcal, 12g fat, 28.4g carbs, 5g protein.
Nut and Seed Granola
- 400g / 4 cups rolled oats*
- 150ml / 1/2 cup maple syrup**
- 113g / 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 55g 1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 31g 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160C or 140C ( if using a fan oven)
- Line large baking tray with parchment paper
- Place oats, cinnamon, nuts, and seeds in a large bowl and mix it.
- Put the butter and maple syrup in a small pan over low heat. Stir gently until the buter has melted and all comes together.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix them to combine.
- Spread the granola in the baking tray evenly and cook for about 10 min.
- Take the tray out, mix and fold the granola ( press it down if you want more chunky bits ) and put it back in the oven for another 10 min or until the edges start browning up.
- Take the granola out and let it cool down completely. Don't mix warm granola as it will break and separate the crunchy clusters.
- Once cool, place the granola in an airtight container and use it within 1 month. Enjoy!