This moist, delicious carrot cake is packed with shredded coconut, pineapple, and pecan nuts complimented by orange cream cheese frosting. It almost feels like Christmas when you bake it, as the home gets filled with a warming cinnamon aroma.
About this Pineapple and Coconut Carrot Cake
This cake is very dear to me, as it was the first cake that I baked and fell in love with home baking.
You can omit the nuts but don’t skip on the pineapple because it will add moisture to the cake. I baked this cake in 2 x 20 cm tins and then sliced each cake in half to make 4 thin sponges.
The quantity of the cream cheese frosting will be enough to fill the cake and have a very thin layer on the top. If you prefer more frosting on the cake- don’t slice the sponge and use 2 sponges only.
My friend gave me this recipe years ago. It took me some persuasion for her to share this ‘secret’ cake recipe with me.
I didn’t take any photos while I was preparing this cake but I am sure you will find easy to follow the instructions.
I like how moist this cake is. It tastes even better the following day. As a matter of fact, I usually prepare it a day in advance and serve it the following day.
How to store Pineapple and Coconut Carrot Cake?
You can store the frosted cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Or, freeze the unfrosted sponge by wrapping it in a cling film before. Defrost at room temperature before using.
There are so many different recipes for carrot cake, but for me, this Pineapple and Coconut Carrot Cake is a winner. Enjoy!
Pineapple and Coconut Carrot Cake
- 255 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 255 g freshly grated carrots
- 75 g shredded coconut
- 400 g ( 1 tin ) pineapple, drained and chopped
- 50 g pecan nuts, chopped ( optional )
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 200 ml vegetable oil
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 225 g cream cheese, full fat
- 85 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 400-500 g icing sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and line 2 x 20 cm round tins.
- Sift together flour, salt, b.soda, b. powder and cinnamon together and set aside.
- In the big bowl mix together carrots, coconut, pineapple, and pecan nuts.
- Place the eggs, sugar, and oil in another bowl and mix it well with a handheld electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the carrot bowl and mix it all well.
- Lastly, sift the dry ingredients from the first bowl over the wet ones and gently fold everything in until combined.
- Spoon equally divided batter between 2 tins and bake for about 30-40 min or until a skewer inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Once the cakes are cool, cut each cake in half and spread the frosting between each layer of sponge.
- Let it set in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before serving. Enjoy!
For the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add cream cheese into the butter and mix to combine.
- Add orange juice and zest and mix in well.
- Sift 400g of icing sugar and mix well. If the frosting needs more sweetness, add a bit more icing sugar. Chill the frosting for 1 hr to firm up a bit before spreading on the cake.