This is a great recipe for a quick midweek dinner. The chicken is very tender and sticky. You can change vegetables for your liking
So I have been making this Sticky Chinese Chicken with rice for years now but I can’t remember where is this recipe coming from? Also, I am not sure how authentic it is. The only thing I know, it is super tasty.
If you are looking for a tender, juicy, sticky, and sweet chicken recipe- this one is for you. It is easy to make and is perfect as a weeknight meal.
I didn’t take any photos while I was cooking this chicken. But it is a straight forward recipe that you can follow below.
The longest time that takes, is letting the chicken marinate for about 30min.
You can also prep the marinade ahead and let the chicken marinate for a bit longer.
For this recipe, I have used bell pepper and onion. You can add some other veggies like broccoli, green beans, or some shredded carrots. If adding lots of vegetables, the quantity of sauce might not be enough, so it would be a good idea to double it.
After frying, I have sprinkled the sticky chicken with spring onions. You can sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds too.
Either way, try, enjoy, and let me know how your sticky chicken turned out!
Sticky Chinese Chicken Recipe
- 500 g chicken breast
- 75 g cornflour
- 1 red bell pepper ( sliced in strips )
- 1 medium white onion ( sliced in rings )
- veg. oil for frying
- 2 tbsp soy sauce ( I used dark )
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornfour
- Slice chicken into thin strips.
- Pour marinade ingredients into a medium bowl and mix it all well.
- Add sliced chicken into the marinade, combine and refrigerate for at least 30min.
- Prepare your sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients in the jug or small bowl and set aside.
- Place 75g of cornflour into the bowl ( or zip lock bag ) and roll pieces of chicken, making sure all sides are covered. Don't pour any leftover marinade into the cornflour. Set aside.
- Fry sliced bell pepper and onion in the medium-hot frying pan with a few tbsp of oil until soften ( about 4-5 min ). Remove it and keep it aside.
- Add a few tbsp of oil in the same pan where the veg. was fried and start frying strips of chicken. Fry in batches, not all at once, until it is cooked inside and crispy outside. Keep fried chicken with fried onion and pepper on the side until all chicken is fried.
- Return fried chicken, onion, and bell pepper back to the pan and pour over the mixed sauce. It will start thickening quickly. Keep mixing for a few minutes.
- Serve it with basmati rice or noodles.